In my mind the VOLT has been the best EV ever made.  It nailed the daily
40 mile american average use and then has gas backup.

Too bad GM simply did not advertise it well and then stopped producing
it too!  I LOVE IT!

See my http://aprs.org/FrankenVolt.html modified for 240W of solar panels
Bob

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 12:52 PM Peter VanDerWal via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> > But the “wha-a-a” moment was when I saw that you drive a hybrid. Why on
earth would you drive a
> > hybrid? There are plenty of EV options out there, INCLUDING FCEVs! Some
of us like clean air,
> > chief!
> >

> We own a Chevy Volt because at the time we bought it, four years ago, it
was the best available option.
> It has enough range on batteries, EPA rated at 53 miles but I've gotten
over 90 miles per charge on occasion, for our normal daily use, with the
availability to switch to gas on long trips, it gets 42mpg when running on
gas.

> in 2017 there was no option to use hydrogen in my area, this hasn't
changed and I doubt that will change any time soon.
> In 2017 there were no charging stations (level-2 or level-3) that could
get us any further away than Phoenix.

> We bought the Volt because it would provide us with a vehicle that could
drive to Oregon, Kentuky, etc on those rare occasion when we visited
family, and do so using less gas than almost any thing else available, AND
it had enough battery range to meet our normal daily use.

> My wife finally filled the gas tank on it last week because she'd gotten
tired of it complaining about having low fuel, that's the first time this
year she put gas in it.

> It is only in the last year that the charging infrastructure has been
brought online that will allow me to drive, either east or west, and get
out of Arizona. There was no way I could forsee that happening this soon
back in 2017.
> I don't pretend to be psycic, I can only base my decissions on the facts
available at the time.  At the time, the Volt was the best option.

> It still a good option today, I'm not going to just throw it away because
there are better options.  The next EV I want isn't available yet, but
should be in a couple years.  Until the next vehicle I want is available we
will continue to use the Volt.  When we buy the next vehicle I will gift
the Volt to someone in my family that is still driving petroleum vehicles.

> I don't accept this rampant consumerism where you constantly buy the
latest and greatest and dispose of perfectly functional property that is
only a few years old.  That is bad for the environment.