My Leaf has at least 5 mi/kWh driving almost exclusively freeway at 55 MPH.
I have said it before and I will repeat: Leaf *can* have very high
efficiency, the biggest impact is aligning for zero toe, which only
requires a pair of wrenches and flat road and a good eye, I have done
it to several cars and the results are amazing.
Initially my Leaf showed efficiency between 3.2-3.5 mi/kWh on this
commute. With some difficulty I could reach 3.8 but I thought that was
pretty good.
Until I bought a Leaf from a local who moved into an apartment and
could only charge at the dealer as there were no nearby public
charging stations.
When I picked it up, I was amazed that it indicated 4.8 mi/kWh
efficiency and even more that it stayed that high while I tested it on
my commute, so I compared it to my own Leaf (this one was to re-sell
anyway). The only difference I could find was the front wheel
alignment was pretty dead on for zero toe.
So, I grabbed two crescent wrenches, loosened one side tie rod, turned
it one turn, checked on flat road if the sides of my front wheels now
tracked exactly with my rear tires, tweaked the toe a little more,
tightened the tie rod and the next day my commute showed.... the same
4.8 mi/kWh on my own Leaf.
Since then I have not done much, my tires are a bit more worn now than
they were then and over the past half year my consumption has been
consistently over 5 mi/kWh. Only in the last week with the low winter
temperatures, has my average gone back down as is now showing 5.0
mi/kWh.
This all on an otherwise standard 2013 Leaf with a 1 year old
replacement 24kWh battery (which again increased the efficiency a
little from the high internal resistance of the old and failing pack).
Cor.