Efficiency:
There are multiple legitimate ways to measure efficiency in terms of energy
consumption. What matters is that when one compares energy consumption,
that one knows what parts of the energy flow in the system are being
measured and compared. A vehicle tank-to-wheels efficiency measurement will
show lower kJ/mile than a well-to-wheels measurement. And the
well-to-wheels measurement will vary by production and refinery methods,
even if the vehicle remains the same. The measurement units may be the
same, but what they're measuring can vary, and may not be comparable.

Steel/Aluminum:
3/Y are steel frame as a cost reduction measure. Tesla used aluminum on S/X.

Even on bicycles, a steel frame and aluminum frame can be closer in weight
than one might assume. That's because aluminum has a brittle failure mode
that steel does not. Steel bends/stretches/is ductile when it is
approaching its limits. Aluminum tends to crack. The result is to ensure an
aluminum frame is strong enough to survive road shock, it must be built
from correspondingly larger/thicker parts than when steel is used.

On a related note, that also means that there is a distinct advantage to
using steel for components that could lead to disaster if they experienced
a sudden failure.

Aero:
Air resistance increases energy consumption at all speeds. It rapidly
becomes large at high speeds, as it increases by speed (actually velocity)
squared. There isn't a single speed across all vehicles where air
resistance becomes the dominant factor. 55 is just a rule of thumb, but
isn't actually a special value. A brick may be way under 55. A sleek
aircraft may be way over 55.

The actual measured effect aero has on vehicle energy consumption is a
function of the drag coefficient (Cd) and exposed frontal area. A Prius can
have lower energy consumption than a motorcycle in part because it has a
lower Cd even though the frontal area is more. (The Atkinson cycle engine
also helps).

Weight:
Weight has some effect of efficiency. It especially as an effect in terms
of acceleration/deceleration losses (which may be partially reduced via
gentle  acceleration/regen). It also increases rolling resistance as a tire
deforms (which can be reduced via high tire pressures). Railroad cars have
pretty low rolling resistance...steel wheels on steel rail do not deform
much from increased weight.

Effects on losses:
Wh/mile is a function of all of these factors. Which factor dominates will
vary by vehicle design, load, and driving pattern. An aerodynamic vehicle
will have lower aero losses than a brick. A lighter car will have lower
rolling resistance losses than an otherwise identical but heavier car. A slow
driver will have lower aero losses than a fast driver. A steady route will
have lower losses than a stop and go route that has the same average speed.

3 mi/kWh aka 333 Wh/mi is a decent all around rule of thumb for many EVs
including the original Model S. It's enough to cover some electric
resistance cabin heating too. More efficient EVs that have better aero, and
HVAC heat pumps, and permanent magnet motors, including later updates to
Model S, have brought the number under 300. Model 3 and Y can be near 250
Wh/mile or 4 mi/kWh, which matches Mark's observations.