Chinese EV dominance hastens end of petrol engine era

Issued on: 22/04/2023 - 09:14

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230422-chinese-ev-dominance-hastens-
end-of-petrol-engine-era

or https://v.gd/YYqNoM

"This year's Shanghai Auto Show signalled the end of the petrol engine era
in China, as domestic electric vehicle brands drive change across the sector
and leave foreign companies in the dust, analysts and industry insiders
said.

"Government support for EVs and growing interest from a vast consumer base
has assured Chinese companies' dominance of their home market, the world's
largest -- and they are now beginning to set their sights overseas.

***

"According to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, electric
vehicles made up a quarter of car sales in the country in 2022, a year-on-
year increase of 94 percent.

***

"China has dedicated huge resources to the industry.

"They skipped developing petrol engines because they can't compete with the
rest of the world," said Richards.  "So they thought: '(With EVs) we can get
a head start in front of everyone else'."

***

"The supporting infrastructure was built too -- the government says there
are now more than 5.8 million charging piles in China.  Guangdong province
alone has around three times as many public chargers as the whole of the
United States, according to Bloomberg data.

***

Some are smashing the cash barrier that put EVs beyond the means of the
average consumer.  In Shanghai, China's Geely exhibited its boxy Panda Mini -
- including a bright yellow one with the phrase "what the duck" emblazoned
on its side.  The cheaper versions cost around $5,800.

"In the future, homegrown technology could drive prices down even further.
Battery giant CATL has developed a cell that uses sodium instead of lithium
ions, the former both more abundant and cheaper than the latter.  Just
before the show opened CATL announced those batteries would be incorporated
into domestic brand Chery's cars.

***

"And Chinese EV companies have already begun to make inroads abroad.  The
biggest of them, BYD, set up shop in Norway then expanded onwards, and
others are following."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230422-chinese-ev-dominance-hastens-
end-of-petrol-engine-era

or https://v.gd/YYqNoM

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
     "Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,
     will the right answers come out?"  I am not able rightly to
     apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke
     such a question.

                                                 -- Charles Babbage

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/