To contrast with Willie's oft reported and unfortunately terrible experience with his early model, our 2013 SV LEAF has been a good investment and overall reliable car. LEAFs had some upgrades that year including a battery percentage display, charge connector lighting, heat pump, and reportedly improved battery chemistry. Has heated seats and steering wheel - great in winter.

Bought used with under 3k miles. Have replaced tires a few times, 12volt accessory battery once, and brake fluid as recommended during the 80,000 or so miles driven so far. Down one bar (of 12) on the battery and still handles our local driving needs, which is most of our driving.

Always fun to drive and we appreciate the practical hatchback design. We weren't looking to pay triple the price or more for race car performance, but the LEAF does have that instant EV torque and rules the road in city driving.

There's a slight (and apparently common) problem with the driver's door handle cover that we won't bother to fix. And the charge door failed to open once, but fixed itself.

The ride seems nicer than the Tesla M3s I've ridden in and it may have less road noise IIRC. Have not yet ridden in a Model Y. When the time comes to replace our distance car (2007 Prius) we'll see if Tesla makes a similar small hatchback by then, or what other such options may become available from VW, Ford, KIA, Hyundai or others (Fisker PEAR?). Hopefully Honda, Mazda, Toyota and other laggards will get their EV acts together, too.

I'm among those put off by some of the negative aspects of Elon's management style, penchant for drama and foot swallowing, plus designed-in vehicle privacy issues, and the repair problems one of my Tesla owning friends has experienced. That said, Tesla as a company has certainly led the way toward the EV explosion thanks to the contributions of MANY talented people, and, importantly, the continued support of regional and federal government programs and incentives in the USA and elsewhere.

Cheers,
 -Jamie