On 28 Oct 2023 at 23:17, Michael Ross via EV wrote:

> There isn't enough copper (and so on) to electrify what uses petrol now,
> not in my lifetime. The greatest suppliers we prefer not to use - Russia in
> particular. There is copper in South America, but mines don't come on line
> overnight, more like over a decade.

Not to lump you in with them, but this is the kind of rhetoric that the anti-
EV / anti-progress crowd repeats endlessly.  Not enough copper,.not enough
lithium, not enough <fill in the blank>, as if those were the only materials
we could possibly use to build EVs.

In the early days of the ICEV, experts predicted that there we could never
refine enough gasoline to fuel a world full of cars.  Horses forever!  Then
chemists invented catalytic cracking.

Near the start of WW2, the US lost its source of natural rubber for tires.
The rubber industry developed synthetic rubber and we forged ahead.

Science today isn't any less resourceful than it was then.  IF we have the
will, and IF we don't let the wailing foot- and knuckle-draggers hold us
back,  we'll find a way.

It may not happen in the US this time.  They have too many short-term "but
my profit margin!" lobbying libertarian billionaires.  Why invest their
billions in a sustainable future when they can throw them away promoting
regressive, reactionary politics and scientific retreat?

I see other nations taking real action, however haltingly, toward a more
sustainable future.  If they keep their eyes on the road ahead instead of on
the rear view mirror, they have a good chance of solving the problems, EV
and otherwise, and reducing the world's carbon hit.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The metaverse as envisioned by the tech giants is not some
     promising new frontier for humanity. It's just another place
     to spend money on things.

                                                 --Keza MacDonald

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/