Yeah, people doing one-off conversions today are not (should not) be doing
it for "low cost", that's just not possible.  The motivation should only be
borne out of love for the car you want to convert.   In our case, no OEM
has stepped up to make a decent van with good range that's supremely
reliable with a low cost-of-ownership.  When they do, we will probably stop
converting.