On 27 Apr 2024 at 23:58, lektwik via EV wrote:

> It's been years since I posted here

Nice to hear from you again, Roy!

> good luck telling someone they can only go 50 miles max on a charge now
> and that 50% of vehicle weight in lead batteries is required to do it.

I don't recall it being *quite* that bad.  IIRC, you could usually get 40-50
miles of range with only 1/3 of the vehicle weight in lead.   :-\

Years ago, Bob Rice wrote here about the Renault-based EFP Mars II that he
worked on in the late 1960s.  The EV weighed about 4200lb all up, and the
battery 1900lb.  That's ~45%.  Bob said its real-world range was 95 miles at
highway speeds.

But I agree with your main point.  Once the Nissan Leaf and Tesla S were
established in the market, the days of EV conversions were numbered.  I can
see the effect in the EV list archive, with gradually declining numbers of
monthly posts starting in mid-2012.

That said, I think there might still some valid reasons to convert.

- As a technical challenge

- To have an EV you can work on and improve yourself

- To clean up a beloved classic and make it (one hopes) more reliable

- To get a type or style of EV that no manufacturer currently offers, at
least where you live

> I've been predicting for years that unmolested examples of those early
> clik-clak DC and lead-acid conversions are the future EV collector's
> items. They are disappearing quickly.

I think that that's more likely with the early modern production EVs.  I've
heard of really clean Citicars going for 5 figures, for example.

But you might be right, and some conversions might appeal to collectors
someday.

I'm no expert, so don't take that as investment advice - or any other kind,
for that matter.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     In every country, they make fun of city. In US you make fun of
     Cleveland. In Russia, we make fun of Cleveland.

                                    --Yakov Smirnoff

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/