On 26 Apr 2024 at 5:27, Bill Dube via EV wrote:

> What is important to keep in mind is that BYD is is now offering a
> Corrola-sized EV for about $15k.

If I understand the news stories right, that's the $ equivalent to its price
in China.  Chinese vehicles always cost more in higher-income nations.  The
reasons for this will be left as an exercise for the reader.

Example: Renault launched their City K-ZE EV in 2019 in China, at the
equivalent of US$8,700. A somewhat larger and safer version arrived in
Europe in 2021 as the Dacia Spring.  There it cost 17,400 euros (about
US$19k) - more than double.

I expect BYD's Qin Plus will be available in Europe at some point. I don't
think it will cost $15k there.  A wild guess would be around $25k.

I'd be more surprised to see it offered at any price in the US, but who
knows?

That in no way negates Bill's suggestion to scarf a donor drivetrain from a
production EV.

Just don't forget that there can still be significant engineering involved.
One problem you don't have with generic motors and controllers is
"transplant rejection." Someone - most likely you - has to find a way to
convince the drive system's processors that they're still rolling along in
their original home.

Bolting a generic motor to the BMW's factory trans would indeed probably be
less efficient.  But depending on your background, the engineering problems
might be easier for you to tackle.

Either way, you'd have to find a way to cram a battery into a car not
designed to hold it.

It's not a trivial job, nor cheap, but maybe it's worth it if you really
love the car AND it's in very good shape.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/