On 04 Mar 2010, at 22:59, Jack Mallah wrote:

Bruno, I hope you feel better.

Thanks.

My quarrel with you is nothing personal.

Why would I think so?
Now I am warned.

--- Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
Jack Mallah wrote:
Bruno, you don't have to assume any 'prescience'; you just have to assume that counterfactuals count. No one but you considers that 'prescience' or any kind of problem.

This would lead to fading qualia in the case of progressive substitution from the Boolean Graph to the movie graph.

I thought you said you don't use the 'fading qualia' argument (see below), which in any case is invalid as my partial brain paper shows. So, you are wrong.

It is a different fading qualia argument, older and different from Chlamers. It is explained in my PhD thesis, and earlier article, bur also in MGA3 on this list, and in a paper not yet submitted. Do you agree with the definition I give of the first person and third person in teleportation arguments? I mean I have no clue what you are missing.

You confuse MGA and Maudlin's argument. If consciousness supervenes on the physical realization of a computation, including the inactive part, it means you attach consciousness on an unknown physical phenomenon. It is a magical move which blurs the difficulty. Eithr the "physical counterfactualness" is Turing emulable, or not. If it is, we can emulate it at a some level, and you will have to make consciousness supervene on something not Turing emulable to keep the physical supervenience.

gradually replace the components of the computer (which have the standard counterfactual (if-then) functioning) with components that only play out a pre-recorded script or which behave correctly by luck.

You could then invoke the 'fading qualia' argument (qualia could plausibly not vanish either suddenly or by gradually fading as the replacement proceeds) to argue that this makes no difference to the consciousness. My partial brain paper shows that the 'fading qualia' argument is invalid.

I am not using the 'fading qualia' argument.

Then someone else on the list must have brought it up at some point. In any case, it was the only interesting argument in favor of your position, which was not trivially obviously invalid. My PB paper shows that it is invalid though.

?

What do you mean by "?"?

You may cite the paper then, and say where things go wrong. I provide a deductive argument. It is a proof, if you prefer. It is not easy, but most who take the time to study it have not so much problem with the seven first steps, and eventually ask precise questions for the 8th one, which needs some understanding of what is a computation, in the mathematical sense of the terms. The key consists in understanding the difference that exists, even in platonia, between a 'genuine computation", and a mere description of a computation.

I guess by 'physical supervenience' you mean supervenience on physical activity only.

Not at all. In the comp theory, it means supervenience on the physical realization of a computation.

So, it includes supervenience on the counterfactuals?

But "physical" is taken in the agnostic sense. It is whatever is (Turing) universal and stable enough in my neighborhood so that I can bet my immaterial self and its immaterial (mathematica) computation or processing will go through a functional substitution. Eventually, that physical realization is shown to be a sum on an infinity of computation realized in elementary arithmetic.

 If so, the movie obviously doesn't have the right counterfactuals,

Of course. Glad you agree that the movie has no private experience. Most who want to block the UD argument pretend that the movie is conscious (but this leads to other absurdities).

so your MGA fails.

On the contrary, that was the point. It was a reductio ad absurdo. If consciousness supervenes, in "real time and place" to a physical activity realizing a computation, and this "qua computatio" then consciousness supervenes on the movie (MGA2). But this is indeed absurd, and so consciousness does not supervene on the physical activity realizing the computation, but on the computation itself (and then on all computations by first person indeterminacy). This solves also Maudlin's difficulty, given that Maudlin find weird that consciousness supervenience needs the presence of physically inactive entities.

I see nothing nontrivial in your arguments.

Nice! You agree with the argument then. Or what?

Computationalism assumes supervenience on both physical activity and physical laws (aka counterfactuals).

? You evacuate the computation?

I have no idea what you mean by that. Computations are implemented based on both activity and counterfactuals, which is the same as saying they supervene on both.

Then you have to provide a physical definition of what are activity, counterfactual and computation. But if those definitions leads to a Turing emulable process, you just lift the difficulty on another level. Eventually you talk like if we knew which universal system supports us. You take for granted an Aristotelian principle.

Consciousness does not arise from the movie, because the movie has the wrong physical laws. There is nothing about that that has anything to do with 'prescience'.

This is not computationalism.

Of course it is. Any mainstream computationalist agrees that the right counterfactuals (aka the right 'physical' laws) are needed. Certainly Chalmers would agree. What else would you call this position?

Chalmers told me publicly, at a poster presentation in Brussels, that in the duplication Washington/Moscow, the first person feels be to at the two places at once. This is indeed coherent with his dualism. But this, together with comp, entails telepathy between the multiplied selves. He left the room when I made that remark.

Now I agree with the mainstream computationalist that the 'right counterfactual' are needed. But I do not follow the "(aka the right 'physical' laws)". It is not computationalism, it is physicalism at the start.

I have already done so (for MGA): You claim that taking counterfactuals into account amounts to assuming 'prescience' and is thus implausible, but that's NOT true. Using counterfactuals/laws is how computation is defined.

OK. I see you have not get the point. MGA does not need the notion of counterfactuals. It just show that IF neurons, or basic entity have no prescience, then the movie has the same physical activity, as far as realizing a computation in real time, than the boolean graph. So, to *avoid* prescience, we have to make consciousness supervening on the counterfactuals. But those related to the computation are mathematical, immaterial, defined only in computer science. The physical counterfactuals have to be non relevant, or Turing emulable. This means that "the physical", from the point of view of a universal machine in some state S, is the sum on all computations going through that state. And I make that point even more mathematically transparent with the use of the self-reference logics.

You talk like if we knew that there is a primitive physical universe, or any special universal system. But we don't, and no universal machine could know that.

Your repeated claims that the error has not been pointed out are a standard crackpot behavior.

That would be the case if the work did not pass the academical test. I am sure the argument can be made clearer, and I am open that a systematic error may subsist, but enough scientists (logicians, analytical philosophers, physicists, and many ctheoretical computer scientists) have take the (long) time to verify all steps. Only media and literary philosophers, and 2 pure mathematicians, keep on saying it is "crackpot", without any explanation (and behind my back).

If you want I can explain you in all detail. Or just look into the archives, I did it regularly. Have you understand the first person indeterminacy? Are you open to the *relative* self-sampling assumption?
Do you have understand the mathematical notion of universal dovetailing?
Do you have a problem only in step 8?

It helps to be agnostic on primitive matter before trying to understand the reasoning.

In that case I should be the perfect candidate, being that I am agnostic on Platonism. Your arguments don't sway me because they don't make any sense.

This is more rhetorical than argumentative. If you were a (admittedly ideal) scientist, you would say something like "I am not sure I understand why you say that this <precise thing> follows from that <precise thing>. Of course I met people, including scientists, who believe that consciousness, mind, person, are senseless notions, but those interested in the mind body problem are usually very interested.

In this list I have already well explained the seven step of UDA, and one difficulty remains in the step 8, which is the difference between a computation and a description of computation. Due to the static character of Platonia, some believes it is the same thing, but it is not, and this is hard to explain. That hardness is reflected in the AUDA: the 'translation' of UDA in arithmetic. The subtlety is that again, the existence of a computation is true if and only if the existence of a description of the computation exist, but that is true at the level G*, and not at the G level, so that such an equivalence is not directly available, and it does not allow to confuse a computation (a mathematical relation among numbers), and a description of a computation (a number).

Remember, I came to this list because like many others here I thought up the 'everthing that exists mathematically exists in the same way we do' idea by myself, and only found out online that others had thought of it too. So I'm not prejudiced against it. I just don't know if it's true, and I think it's important not to jump to conclusions. Your 'work' has had no effect on my views on that.

I don't jump to the conclusion, it is the result of many years of work in a difficult field. With comp, Church thesis provide the first universal notion, mathematically definable, and immune to cantor diagonalization. It is the only coherent "everything" notion which admit an effective definition. I just show that from inside it makes physics not entirely computable, and secondary: emerging from the numbers swarm.

I already apologize to the list more than once that I published all this in the eighties, and defend a PhD thesis in the nineties. Some philosophers don't understand that it is a modest piece of 'science': a derivation in the frame of a theory. It leads to something which is not radically new: Plato or Plotinus) like theology. The proper theology of a machine is just Tarski notion of truth (restricted to arithmetic) minus Gödel's provability. Despite logicians are usually very severe on the misuse on Gödel's theorem, they have no problem with the use I made of it. It is true that usually Gödel's is used against mechanism. Like Emil Post, Judson Webb and some other, I show Gödel's and Löb's theorem are lucky event for the Löbian machines. AUDA shows UDA makes sense, even arithmetical sense.

It is nice that you are open to the hypothesis, and open to the conclusion. But if you are agnostic on platonism, why do you invoke physicalness in the notion of computation to block the passage from the hypothesis to the conclusion?

It seems that you contradict your own saying, your posts and your glossary. I already mentioned this, and you did not answer. I can't help if you have too much prejudices, as your tone seems to reflect. I prefer to tell you in advance that I may dismiss your next posts if they contain insults, swear words and/or rhetorical tricks.