From: Brent Meeker
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 11:20 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: A comment on Mauldin's paper “Computation and Consciousness”

Note that the kind of entanglement you're talking about is the same as
randomness.  Bohm's version of QM makes this explicit.  There's a
deterministic wave function of the universe so that everything effects
everything else instantaneously (which is why there's no good Bohmian
version of QFT) and quantum randomness is just a consequence of our
ignorance of the complete wave function.  But Tegmark's paper shows that
quantum effects must be very small and the brain is essentially
classical - which makes sense from an evolutionary viewpoint.  You want
your brain to be classical, except for a very rare randomness to avoid
the problem of Buridan's ass - and you don't even need brain randomness
for that, there's plenty of randomness in the environment.

Brent