On Sat, Dec 31, 2011  Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The problem is that the logic of comp doesn't seem to have a reason to
> invent a revulsion response associated with increasing fidelity of
> simulation when the whole point of comp is interchangeability and
> simulation.

Evolution has given us a very powerful ability to deduce emotional states
of our fellow human beings from very subtle facial expressions, this is
important because it gives us clues about the likely behavior of other
people. If it's obviously a cartoon then we don't even try to use this
ability and just sit back and enjoy the show, but if it is a very very good
rendering then we do start to use this ability, but if it's not perfect
then the facial cues we read don't entirely make sense to us and are
contradictory, real people don't move their face like that, at least not
sane ones. We can't figure out what's going on in their head like we
usually can so they seem creepy and a bit frightening. That's OK if you're
trying to animate a Jack the Ripper type character but otherwise it's a
problem.

  John K Clark