On Feb 14, 9:47 pm, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's because you aren't taking subjectivity seriously.
>
> > Why would your subjective concerns matter to me? I take *my*
> > subjectivity as seriously as anything!
>
> You don't have to care about my subjectivity to care about
> subjectivity in general.

You mean subjectivity is objectively important?

>I feel like Pulp Fiction:
>
> Jules: You know the shows on TV?
> Vincent: I don't watch TV.
> Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called
> television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

> > > If I don't qualify it, then I get crap because I 'speak as if I know'
> > > and if I do qualify it then I get crap because I'm hopelessly vague.
>
> > Philosophy is difficult.
>
> and accusations are easy.

It was an observation, not an accusation.

> > > This supports my suspicion that when people disagree with what you are
> > > saying but can't find any reason they can support, they tend to
> > > criticize how you write instead.

> > > Obviously they aren't literally the same words, otherwise there would
> > > be no reason to point out that they figuratively mean the same thing.
>
> > You are not pointing out a fact to the effect that they mean
> > ther same thing "figurativelty". They seem to mean the same
> > thing to you because of baggage you are brigning to the issue
> > that other people are not bringing.
>
> If by baggage you mean understanding, then yes, that could be true.

Or everyone else could understand better.
That's subjectivity for you.

> > > If someone is caused to do something against their will, then yes, of
> > > course.
>
> > If no other agents, humans, individuals is overrding
> > their will, they are not being coerced. Coercion is
> > a deliberate act. Gravity does not coerce objects into
> > falling.
>
> You're right from a 3p perspective. From a 1p perspective anything
> that winds up changing your mind can be said to convince you or coerce
> your decision.

>We can project intention on unconscious agents. You can
> say, "I was coerced into joining a gym by my expanding gut".

You can say your gut tells you things. But it doens;t.
That is just figurative language.

> > > Can you see why a universe without light would have no concept of
> > > darkness?
>
> > No. We can conceive of the existence of the non-existent and
> > vice versa.
>
> We can conceive of non-existence because things can cease to exist. If
> there were no light, then nothing could be imagined to be lacking
> light.

if there were no light, everything we imagined would be lacking light.

> It would be no more possible than it is for us to conceive of
> Non-Gromwalschedness in our universe.

> > > It isn't possible to do the impossible by mistake. If you posit a
> > > universe that is deterministic, then by definition, no shade of free
> > > will can exist. Not voluntary action, not will, not intention,
> > > accident, nothing at all would exist to define determinism in any way.
>
> > Except determinism itself.
>
> Not even determinism. It could not be defined, it would simply be the
> way that the universe is.

And we can't get a handle on the way the universe is?
You seem to think you can.

> We can talk about determinism only because
> we extend beyond it.

Gee, I guess you extend beyond everything then.

Or your initial premise is wrong.

> > > Everything would be purely automatic and unconscious and have no way
> > > to conceive of any other possibility.
>
> > Non-sequitur. You would be determined to conceive whatever
> > you were determined to conceive, rightly or wrongly.
>
> Why would anything be determined to conceive of anything?

Why not? You say that if you are deterrmined, you cannot conceive
of non-determinism. i say that if you are determined, you will
necessarily and inevitably conceive of whatever you are determined
to conceive of. That may or may not include indeterminism.
I don't have to argue that the conception of indeterminism
is inevitable.

> > Let's say they brain state of someone who believes in
> > free will is state S. Does it really make a difference whether
> > S is arrived at by  a history involving indeterminism and free will,
> > or by a history involving involving strict determinism? It's the
> > same state either way.
>
> There is no state S.

You know that how?

>Each person's 'belief' isn't arrived at at all.
> That is not how it works. Opinions are dynamic impressions driven by
> motive. (Another movie reference is helpful: Zelig). The reality of
> belief is context dependent fugues of memory and influence with
> feeling and sense in the moment. What we believe arises organically
> from who we are and how we feel. When we assume instead from the
> beginning that there is this abstract entity of 'belief in free will'
> then it turns reality upside down and we end up thinking we have to
> justify reality to the abstraction.

Vague. FMRI contradicts you.

> > > That is the most common way to look at it, but it's backwards. Nothing
> > > exists unless it exists in something's experience (directly or
> > > indirectly).
>
> > Unsupported assertion.
>
> No more unsupported than the opposite assertion.

You contradict it below.

> > >That is what existence is. Detection and participation.

> > > There is nothing to deny if you haven't experienced its existence in
> > > some way. We experience molecules indirectly through description and
> > > inference, therefore they seem like they exist to us. We imagine what
> > > they are based on models and experiments which have allowed us to feel
> > > like we have closed the gap between our indirect experience of
> > > mathematics and physics and our direct experience of microscopy and
> > > materials science. All of these things are contingent solely on
> > > detection and interpretation. We could find out in 10 years or 100
> > > years that the molecular model is only the tip of the iceberg.
>
> > You mean we could discover the existence of something we
> > have not at this point in time experienced?
>
> Of course.

that;s the contradiction.

> But we can never discover the existence of something that
> nothing has experienced, unless we create it ourselves - which
> wouldn't be discovery.

Another unsupported assertion. what witnessed the dark side
of the moon before we did?

> > > Only if my belief is true. Otherwise I can't have a belief.
>
> > Sure you can. it's just that your theory of belief would be wrong. It
> > would
> > be a false belief.
>
> How could any belief be possible under determinism?

Deterministically.

>Belief implies a
> voluntary epistemological investment.

Nope. Eg brainwashing.

>To be a believer is to choose to
> believe.
Nope

> > > How could it be named if there is no alternative quality to
> > > distinguish it from?
>
> > Because naming is lingusitic, and language allows
> > us to negate concepts even if we don;t have
> > experience of their negations. We can conceive
> > the im-material in a material universe, the im-mortal,
> > the a-temporal, the in-finite, etc, etc.
>
> You don't know that our universe doesn't extend beyond qualities that
> seem material, mortal, temporal, and finite to us though.

Re-read the above.  " language allows
 us to negate concepts even if we don;t have experience of their
negations."

That's "we don't have experience", not "they exist
unexperienced" (although
that;s impossible too, according to you...)

> The only
> example that could be used is a nonsense example. The universe could
> actually be 100% X-istic but we have no way of knowing it.

According to you.

> The ability
> of the mind (which is part of the universe) to conceive of X in the
> first place means that the mind can figuratively extend beyond it.

That's not figurative, it's just meaningless.