On 14 Mar 2012, at 21:41, John Mikes wrote:

Brent and Bruno:
you both have statements in this endless discussion about processing ideas of quantum computers. I would be happy to read about ONE that works, not a s a potentiality, but as a real tool, the function of which is understood and APPLIED. (Here, on Earth).

It is an *immense* technical challenge. Up to now, a quantum circuit has only succeeded in showing that 15 is equal to 3*5, which might seems ridiculous for todays applied computing domains, but which is still an extraordinary technical prowess as it involves handling of the 2^16 parallel universes needed to implement the quantum superposition used in Shor's quantum algorithm to find the prime factors of numbers.

The amazing thing is that all the arguments of unfeasibility of quantum computers have been overcome by quantum software, like the quantum error corrections, and the topological fault tolerant quantum machinery.

I have few doubts that quantum computers will appear, but I am quite uncertain if it is for this century of for the next millennium. But bigger quantum circuits will emerge this century, and quantum cryptographic technic might already exist, but that's a military secret, and a banker secret :).

There is also some prospect to discover quantum machinery operating in nature. I read some times ago, that a super-heavy object has been discovered which structure seemed to have to be unstable for much physicists and some have elaborated models in which quarks are exploiting a quantum-computational game to attain stability.

And then, to make happy Stephen, the "not very plausible yet not entirely excluded despite what Tegmark argues" possibility that life exploits quantum algorithm. See for example the two following papers referred to in my today's mail:

1) Clark, K.B. (2010). Bose-Einstein condensates form in heuristics learned by ciliates deciding to signal 'social' commitments. BioSystems, 99(3), 167-178. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19883726

2) Clark, K.B. (2010). Arrhenius-kinetics evidence for quantum tunneling in microbial "social" decision rates. Communicative & Integtrative Biology, 3(6), 540-544. http://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/cib/article/12842

I am skeptical to be franc. Not too much time to dig on this for now. The second is freely available. if someone want to comment on it, please do.

Bruno