On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> What would be the point of learning though? What would be the
> difference between any one outcome and any other one if decision
> making were determined? It is only because of our own experience of
> free will that we can project some significance of any particular
> outcome.

Maybe it is because of the significance of outcomes that we believe to have
free will.

> Evolution doesn't care how species mutate or whether
> individuals survive, why should the individuals themselves care
> either?

Because individuals that care about outcomes survive?

> Only if we program them to act like they are doing that. They never
> would learn anything on their own.

The fact is that learning is possible in a deterministic universe.

> > The point is not changing future outcomes. In fact we don't know what
> that
> > outcome will be. The point is obtaining good outcomes.
>
> Without the existence of free will as a given, there can be no "good".

 There is no problem in having good and bad outcomes in a deterministic
universe.

Ricardo.

Craig