On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Pierz <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > John Clarke seems to be saying

No e in my name. Although I'd love to say I'm Arthur C Clarke's
illegitimate son the fact is my father's name was Arthur E Clark.

> > that the law is an ass, not because of human-level failures of
> reasoning/justice etc, but because the criminal was predestined to act the
> way s/he did, or behaved randomly, and in either case no reponsibility can
> be assigned.

I'm saying precisely the opposite of that, I'm saying responsibility can
and should ALWAYS be assigned. Perhaps you chopped up people with a ax
because you had bad genes or maybe because you had a bad childhood or maybe
a random quantum fluctuation in your brain turned you into a monster; I
don't know and I don't care because knowing why you are a monster does not
make you one bit less of a monster. That's why I'm in favor of the death
penalty.

  John K Clark