Craig,

You mentioned that you can open a remote desktop connection from a
virtualized computer to a real computer (or even the one running the
virtualization).

This, as Quentin mentioned, requires an interface.  In this case it is
provided by the virtual network card made available to the virtual OS.
When the virtual OS writes network traffic to this virtual interface, it is
read by the host computer, and from there on can be interpreted and
processed.  It is only because the host computer is monitoring the state of
this virtual network card and forwarding its traffic that the virtual OS is
able to send any network traffic outside it.

Jason