On 5/31/2012 12:10 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On May 31, 1:45 am, Jason Resch<jasonre...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Craig,

You mentioned that you can open a remote desktop connection from a
virtualized computer to a real computer (or even the one running the
virtualization).

This, as Quentin mentioned, requires an interface.  In this case it is
provided by the virtual network card made available to the virtual OS.
A 'virtual network card' is just a name for the part of OS. There is
no interface. The 'real computer' is no more real than the virtual
computer. The partition is purely fictional - a presentation layer to
appeal to our sense of organization and convenience. No virtual
network card is required. You could just call it the part of the OS
that we call virtual.

The partition between the OS and the actual hardware however, does
require an interface for our hands and eyes to make changes to the
hardware that affects the software.

When the virtual OS writes network traffic to this virtual interface, it is
read by the host computer, and from there on can be interpreted and
processed.  It is only because the host computer is monitoring the state of
this virtual network card and forwarding its traffic that the virtual OS is
able to send any network traffic outside it.
No, the containers all share the same root OS. The virtual interface
is a convenient fiction.

Craig

Hi Craig,

It seems that we might be glossing over the difference between hardware and software...

--
Onward!

Stephen

~ Francis Bacon