On Wed, Jun 6, 2012  Brian Tenneson <tenn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  how can we hold criminals culpable in that they had no choice but to
> commit crime?

It just mystifies me that someone would even ask a question like that. If
you're chasing me with a bloody ax I don't care if you had a "choice"
(whatever the hell that is supposed to mean) to do so or not, nor do I care
what thoughts, be they beautiful or ugly, are dancing around in your brain
while you're doing it; all I want is for you to stop chasing me with that
damn ax and I want measures taken to discourage that sort of thing
happening in the future by you or anybody else.

> Seems unfair to punish anyone under those circumstances.

It seems even more unfair for me to get chopped up by your ax.  There are
only 2 legitimate reasons to punish anybody for anything:

1) To make sure they don't continue with such crimes.

2) To deter others from committing similar crimes.

I admit there is another reason that the oldest reptilian parts of my brain
can come up with, the fun of seeing somebody I dislike suffer, but that is
not a reason the newer more evolved parts of my brain are proud of so I
will not defend it. And the ASCII string "free will" has absolutely nothing
to do with any of this, or anything else for that matter except gibberish.

  John K Clark