On Jun 6, 12:37 pm, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012  Brian Tenneson <tenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  how can we hold criminals culpable in that they had no choice but to
> > commit crime?
>
> It just mystifies me that someone would even ask a question like that. If
> you're chasing me with a bloody ax I don't care if you had a "choice"
> (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean) to do so or not, nor do I care
> what thoughts, be they beautiful or ugly, are dancing around in your brain
> while you're doing it; all I want is for you to stop chasing me with that
> damn ax and I want measures taken to discourage that sort of thing
> happening in the future by you or anybody else.

But that doesn't explain why we would pick 'punishment' as a
prophylactic measure. If it was an axe that fell off the wall of your
garage, do you seek to punish the garage? The axe? Punishment only
works if something

1. cares whether or not it's experience is unpleasant - ie has sense
qualia of pleasure and pain contrast

and

2. has causally efficacious motive to alter their behavior, and by
extension alter the circumstances of their environment - ie motive
power: (continuum ranging from libertarian free will in our innermost
thoughts and imagination, to voluntary control over some aspects of
our attention and neuromuscular system, to involuntary reflex of
subconscious and unconscious processes).

Craig