On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:55 AM, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stathis, semantics is a fundamental principle as long as we 'talk in wordly
> terms'. Did you get a letter from God Almighty confirming that there is
> nothing more FOR DECISIONMAKING than your brain and your environment? Sorry
> to denigrate a term within your profession, but we know close to nothing
> about mentality, thinking in topical terms, even THAT DARN 'decisionmaking'.
> It may not be strictly deterministic, we MAY have SOME choice (all these
> words from the 'pseudo' domain) but how impressive those (so far unknowable)
> domains(?) or factors do influence "our brain(?)" has not been known as of
> yesterday.
>
> (I am still hung up on your use of the number of people you are:
> "...if my actions are determined by my brain and my environment..."
> who is the 'you' discussing with 'your brain'? Are you compatible with you?
> but that is an old hat).

Other than brain and environment, what else is there?

As for choice and determinism: I do exactly what I want to do, and if
I wanted do something else, I would do that. I consider that choice,
whether my behaviour is determined or random. In fact, I don't see
what "choice" could possibly mean if not this.

--
Stathis Papaioannou