On 17 Aug 2012, at 17:23, Roger wrote:

Wouldn't Godel incompleteness be the fatal flaw in at least some Turing machines ?

It is a "fatal flaw" in the sense that it prevents all Turing machine, including all universal machines, to be omniscient, even just about arithmetic and machines.

But that is not really a flaw, as it provides motivation for Turing machines to explore reality, and that will be the root of the sense of life for machine: explore and contemplate.

Meaning, they cannot have a full set of instructions or data.

I don't understand what you mean by "full set of instructions or data". All universal machine can emulate any other universal machine. Like Brent said, universal machine are omnicompetent, but still not omniscient. On the contrary, even concerning just numbers and machines, all machines can only scratch at the surface.

Bruno

What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?

And it is this ...
Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably (Aurobindo)

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/17/2012
Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so everything could function."