From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-16, 08:29:38
Subject: Re: Is consciousness just an emergent property of overly
complexcomputations ?

Computation is an overly simplified emergent property of sense. If you could
have computation without sense, then there would be no consciousness.

Craig

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:50:17 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:
Is consciousness just an emergent property of overly complex computations ?

The short answer is that I am proposing that :

1) Penrose's noncomputability position is equivalent to the position
that consciousness emerges at such a level of complexity.

2) In addition, that while Godel's incompleteness theorem may make
such calculations incomplete, it does not make them beyond the
range of computabilitlity.  Instead, it exposes these halted upward-directed
calculations to the possibility of continuing downward-directed platonic
reason,
the numbers themselves, and plato's geometrical forms. I do not know enough
mathematics to be more specific.

If you would like a more complete discussion, read below.

A MORE COMPLETE ANSWER:
Contemporary thinking on consciousness is that it is an "emergent property"
of computational complexity among neurons. This raises some questions:

A. Is the emergence of consciouness simply a another name for Penrose's
condition of non-computability ?

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/presentations/whatisconsciousness.html

"Conventional explanations portray consciousness as an emergent property of
classical
computer-like activities in the brain's neural networks.
The prevailing views among scientists in this camp are that

1) patterns of neural network activities correlate with mental states,
2) synchronous network oscillations in thalamus and cerebral cortex temporally
bind information,
and
3) consciousness emerges as a novel property of computational complexity among
neurons."

B. Or is there another way to look at this emergence ?

Now my understanding of "emergent properties" is that they appear or emerge
through looking at a phenomenon
at a lower degree of magnification "from above. " Thus sociology is an emergent
property of
the behavior of many minds.

IMHO "from above" means looking downward from Platonia. From a wiser position.

Penrose seems to take take two views of Platonia:

http://cognet.mit.edu/posters/TUCSON3/Yasue.html

One is his belief that there is a realm of non-computability, presumably that
of Platonia as experienced.
All art and insight comes from such an experience.

On the other hand, if I am not mistaken, Penrose seems to believe that the
universe is made up of
quantum "spin networks", which presumably can model even the most complex
entities.
He does not seem to deny that the "non-computational" calculations belong to
the realm
of spin networks.

This casts some doubt on his belief in the possibility of non-computability,
and may even allow his spin networks, which are presumably complete,
to escape intact from Godel's incompleteness limitation.

Instead, I propose the following:

1) Penrose's noncomputability position is equivalent to the position
that consciousness emerges at such a level of complexity.

2) In addition, that while Godel's incompleteness theorem may make
such calculations incomplete, it does not make them beyond the
range of computabilitlity. Instead, it exposes these halted upward-directed
calculations to the possibility of continuing downward-directed platonic
reason,
the numbers themselves, and plato's geometrical forms. I do not know enough
mathematics to be more specific.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
10/16/2012