On 22 Oct 2012, at 04:32, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/21/2012 6:43 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

And their very specific correlation with the physical brain states of sleep.

Of course. But this is taken into account in the theoretical reasoning where we suppose the "brain state" are obtained by (immaterial) machine doing the computation at the right level.

We cannot know our "right level", so we are not trying to build an artificial brain. The measure problem comes from the fact that, whatever the level is, the physics has to be given by a measure on computations. That is enough to already derive the logic of the observable, and that a step toward solving the measure problem, although some other possible manner might exist.

But I think that implies that consciousness (at least human like consciousness) cannot exist without the physics;

Human like mundane consciousness? yes. OK.

that materialism is not optional.

Stable *ppearance* of some and perhaps different type of material realities is not optional. Plausibly.