On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:50:57 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>

>>> theology it virtually was theology; competing franchises like Judaism and
>>> Islam were just rounding errors, and they were just as dumb anyway.
>>>

>> > Then by that logic, the practice of bloodletting should represent
>> Medicine, and witch burning should represent Justice.
>>

> Medicine and science and Justice have improved since 1600 but as for
> religion....., well I suppose the Catholic Church has improved too, after
> all they did admit that they may have gone a bit too far in their treatment
> of Galileo and that he may have had a point after all, they said this in
> the year 2000.  There have been calls for the church to reopen the case
> against the astronomer Giordano Bruno and give hin a posthumous apology for
> burning him alive but so far the church has not done so, but give them
> time, it's only been 413 years, and I'm sure defending themselves from all
> those pedophile cases must be time consuming.

>> > It did for many people.
>> http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2009/02/beyond-darwin-eugenics-social-darwinism-and-the-social-theory-of-the-natural-selection-of-humans/
>>

> Apparently you believe that Charles Darwin should be held accountable

No, that's why I used the comparison as an example of fallacious logic.

> for the sins of his cousin Francis Galton, but Darwin was never a social
> Darwinist and opposed slavery long before it was popular to do so, in a
> letter he said " what a proud thing for England, if she is the first
> European nation which utterly abolish is it". But of course the personal
> virtues or vices of Charles Darwin have nothing to do with the truth or
> falsehood of his theory, it's just interesting that unlike Issac Newton who
> was a complete bastard Darwin was a very nice man, even people who didn't
> like his theory tended to like the man personally.

Newton was definitely a whack job, but I have no problem with either his
theories or Darwin's - I'm just saying that they are part of the progress
which began with spirituality and religion and continued to develop through
theology, philosophy, and science. Of course, the key being that I am one
of the many people who view the current phase of science as having passed
its prime and will decay unless it can embrace larger and more scientific
understandings.

>> > I take it as a given that you will think anything that I say is
>> bullshit,
>>

> Only if everything you say is bullshit. Try saying something that isn't
> bullshit, who knows maybe you'll like it.

I don't bullshit as far as I know. I have no reason to lie and I'm not very
good at it. It's not because I have a moral aversion to it, I'm just too
lazy to keep track of what I say, so it's simpler to tell the truth.

>> > Genesis also - simple - first with the light, then with the dividing
>> the waters and whatnot
>>

> Genesis hypothesizes that something grand and complex (God)

Genesis doesn't say anything about God being grand and complex as far as I
know. It's a three letter word and it is not explained at all, so how
complex could it be?

> produced something less grand and less complex (humans),

Less grand maybe, but not less complex. Isn't God just supposed to be "I am
that I am."?

> but Darwin provided a mechanism by which something complex (humans) could
> be produced by something less grand and less complex (bacteria) ; and that
> is why Charles Darwin was a vastly superior human being compared to
> whatever nameless bozo it was that wrote Genesis.

Probably several people contributed to writing Genesis, but while I think
that the Bible has caused a lot of harm to the world, it's still
responsible for driving much of the art and science of the Western world.
Had Gutenberg printed the Origin of Species instead of a Bible, printing
probably would not have caught on with the public.

>>> sells on TV actually exists.
>>>

>> > Still, televangelism is not representative of theology as a whole.
>>

> Theology is just like any other line of work, not everybody manages to
> reach the very top.

I doubt that most televangelists have even studied theology.

Craig