Hi Russell Standish

If one is a Platonist one cannot avoid using Berkeley's rescue package.

From: Russell Standish
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-31, 17:54:16
Subject: Mathematical Multiverse

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 09:01:50AM -0500, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Russell Standish
>
> I have no problem with the idea that the universe is sort of ultimately
> mathematical, except that equations by themselves can't
> do anything except just be there. So nothing can happen.
> All you have is an a priori.

This is Hawking's question "What breathes the fire into the
equations?", is it not?

My particular answer to that is crafted as section 9.3 of my book. It
is fairly late in the book, so I'm not sure how comprehensible it is
without reading much of the rest of the book. But you're welcome to
answer specific questions. I suspect, given your druthers, you would
take Bishop Berkeley's rescue package :).

> The other problem I have is that such a universe as you propose
> (just mathematics) has to be a multltiverse. It's totally unnecessary
> if you have your ontology grounded in intelligence or consciousness.

I don't understand this comment at all. Please explain?