On 05 Feb 2013, at 14:14, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno,

The definitons of simulation and emulation I can find both use the word "imitation". Can you explain what you mean as being the difference between the two ?

A computer can simulate a storm. It can also simulate another computer. In this case, when we simulate digital events by a digital machine, we can define a notion of totally faithful simulation. This what is called an emulation. Some mac, for example, emulate some PC. In fact any universal machine can emulate all possible digital machinery. This is why they are said universal.

Bruno

Simulation - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/simulation
a : the imitative representation of the functioning of one system or process by means of the functioning of another <a computer simulation of an industrial process> ...

Definition of EMULATION

1
obsolete : ambitious or envious rivalry
2
: ambition or endeavor to equal or excel others (as in achievement)
3
a : imitation
b : the use of or technique of using an emulator
— em·u·la·tive adjective
— em·u·la·tive·ly adverb