Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 01:28:16 -0400
Subject: Re: What gives philosophers a bad name?
From: johnkcl...@gmail.com
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013  chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> it seems to me that John has just misunderstood Feyerabend.
It seems to me that  "the church at the time of Galileo was much more faithful
to reason than Galileo himself" leaves little room for misunderstanding and is
as clear as it is imbecilic. And I might add that anyone who feels compelled to
defend such a moronic statement is also a moron.

> Unsuprising given his misunderstanding of Popper

Even Popper misunderstood Popper because he admitted (in 1978!) that he was
wrong about Darwin. That's almost as good as the church admitting (in the year
2000!) that they may have gone just a bit too far in their treatment of Galileo
and maybe just maybe he had a point after all. There have been calls for the
church to reopen the case against the astronomer Giordano Bruno and give hin a
posthumous apology for burning him alive for saying that the stars were other
suns, but so far the church has not done so, but give them time, it's only been
413 years.

> not to mention Darwin.

Please show me that your understanding of Darwin is greater than my own. Dazzle
me with your brilliance.

 > From a Popperian point of view Galileo ought to be regarded as unscrupulous
 > and the church should be regarded as the more reasonable party in the
 > affair.

Galileo discovered new knowledge for humanity, Popper and Feyerabend discovered
nothing, zip zero zilch goose egg. And they were both philosophers and if it
really was their point of view that Galileo was unscrupulous and the church
reasonable then these ignorant jackasses are yet another reason philosophers
have a bad name.

And I am STILL waiting for somebody to tell me one thing that bozos like Popper
and Feyerabend who call themselves
philosophers have discovered in the last 2 centuries that is deep,
clear, precise, unexpected and true that scientists had not discovered
long before. It seems like a simple request and I have asked 3 times but nobody
can think of a damn thing; and yet people continue to tell me how wonderful
Feyerabend and Popper were. I think they were like bad movie critics, full of
condemnation about how other people made their movie but couldn't make one
themselves if you put a gun to their head.

  John K Clark