On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>The  H-guy turns into the M-guy, but they are not identical just as you
>> are not identical with the Bruno Marchal of yesterday.
>>

> > This is true, but it's also something Bruno has said many times.

Then Bruno is not always wrong.

> If comp is correct (to the extent that the mind is a computation, at
> least) then this is happening all the time.

And if comp (whatever that means) is not correct then it is STILL happening
all the time.

> we exist as steps in a computation, and hence, at least in a sense, cease
> to exist and come back into existence constantly.

Yes.

> we are at any given moment digital states can be duplicated, at least in
> principle, and could also be duplicated inside a computer

Yes.

> The question is, do you agree that if consciousness is computation, a
> duplicator of this sort is at least a theoretical possibility?

Obviously!

> Arguing about which man is which or who thinks what seems a bit pointless.

Pointless unless you think it is a virtue to quite literally know what you
are talking about. Bruno keeps throwing around words like "I" and "you" and
"he" and it is very clear that Bruno doesn't know what those words mean in
a world with duplicating chambers. Bruno says "he" has been duplicated, so
now there are TWO, but then Bruno demands to know the ONE thing and only
the ONE thing that "he" will do; and this is nonsense.

  John k Clark