On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 11:18:03 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 09 Oct 2013, at 15:43, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:18:52 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> I'm not sure how that relates to computationalism being something other
>>> than quanta. Humans are easier to define to themselves than integers. A
>>> baby can be themselves for years before counting to 10.
>>>

>>> Phenomenologically? Yes.
>>> Fundamentally? That does not follow. It took a long time before
>>> discovering the Higgs-Englert-Brout Boson.
>>>

>> It doesn't have to follow, but it can be a clue. The Higgs is a
>> particular type of elementary phenomenon which is not accessible to us
>> directly. That would not be the case with Comp if we were in fact using
>> only computation. If our world was composed on every level by computation
>> alone,
>>

>> Hmm.... It is not obvious, and not well known, but if comp is true, then
>> "our world" is not "made of" computations.
>> Our world is "only" an appearance in a multi-user arithmetical video game
>> or dream.
>>

> That's the problem though, what is an "appearance"? How can an arithmetic
> game become video or dreamlike in any way? This is what I keep talking
> about - the Presentation problem. Comp is pulling aesthetic experiences out
> of thin air. without a specific theory of what they are or how they are
> manufactured by computation or arithmetic.

No, that is you and your personalized definition of aesthetic experience
that has nothing to do with any standard interpretation of the term, and
where you default to "what I like about aesthetic..." free association to
fit your current mood and the exchange you're involved in, when prompted
these days.

Comp doesn't need to pull aesthetic experience, in it's standard
interpretations from anywhere. In the case of music, the vast majority of
music theories, if not all, are number based. Multisense realism is puling
aesthetic experience from thin air, as you constantly evade the question:

I can see how I can derive music and improvisation from counting and
numbers; can multisense realism show me how to do the same? Because given
all the claims on how central aesthetic experience is, it should at least
offer some clues, if not be even better than numbers.

>> it wouldn't make much sense for people to have to learn to count integers
>> only after years of aesthetic saturation.

>>> Then you still have an explanatory gap.
>>>

>>> But that is a good point for comp, as it explains why there is a gap,
>>> and it imposes on it a precise mathematical structure.
>>>

>> But there's nothing on the other side of the gap from the comp view.
>> You're still just finding a gap in comp that comp says is supposed to be
>> there and then presuming that the entire universe other than comp must fit
>> in there. If there is nothing within comp to specifically indicate color or
>> flavor or kinesthetic sensations, or even the lines and shapes of geometry,
>> then I don't see how comp can claim to be a theory that relates to
>> consciousness.
>>

>> There is something in the comp theory which specifically indicate qualia.
>> The gaps in the intensional nuances could very well do that.
>>

> But flavors and colors aren't gaps.

You do not know what Bruno is referring to and are changing the question.
If you do know which intensional nuances he is referring to, then explain
them and why gaps as colors would be inappropriate.

> It would be like painting with invisible paint.

UV paint. 5.40$ at Ebay.

> How does theory become visible to itself, and why would it?

Black lights. To party and have indiscriminate fun, in this case. PGC