On 12 Dec 2013, at 22:27, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> In Everett it's always obvious who I'm talking about when I use the personal pronoun "you", it's the only other fellow in the room with me; but in Bruno's thought experiment there is a man standing to the right of the duplicating machine and a identical looking man standing to the left of the duplicating machine and they both have a equal right to use the grand title "you".

> But they know pretty well who they are in the first person way,

No they do not, not in a world with duplicating machines;

This is ridiculous. Here "who they are" means "who among the W and M guy they are", and both know pretty well which city they are seeing, and that is the "real" city, given the protocol (we don't fake them in a virtual lie, by construction).

and by insisting that they do you're assuming the most important part of the very thing you're trying to prove. Mr. You doesn't know if he's the copy or the original.

Ridiculous, see above.

Mr. You doesn't know if he's 40 years old or 40 seconds old.

We have a precise protocol and default hypotheses. You make distracting (correct) remark which have no relevance. You are playing game.

Mr. You does know that he's the guy who is having this thought right now, but in a worjd of duplicating machines that is insufficient information to make a differentiation because that fellow over there (or is it a mirror) could be having the exact same thought at the exact same time.

Not when they have looked to which city they are confronted with, which is the precise object of the experiment.

> One told me: I see in my diary that I predicted (in Helsinki) that I would be at both places, but I see now that this was wrong

I predicted? In such a situation that would only be a half truth, it would be much more accurate to say the Helsinki man predicted or Bruno Marchal predicted. A pronoun has raised its ugly head yet again.

Because you have already agreed that both copy are instantiation of the Helsinki person. They say "I remember having made that prediction", for the same reason the guy survive the simple brain transplant (it is the comp hyp.).

>>> Then you can't say that you will survive anything. We die at each instant

>> OK, but then you can't say that survival is important, or that the word means much of anything at all.

> That was my point. Indeed. Comp would lost his meaning.

At last we agree on something, "comp" has lost it's meaning.

You play with words. You know what comp is, and you just fail finding a flaw in step 3.

>> 'Comp" is not trivial, "comp" is a gibberish word made up by you that is almost as meaningless as "free will".

> Comp is the mechanist thesis. You confuse axioms and theorems.

It's the erroneous theorems that you claim to have derived from the sound axioms of computationalism that I object to.

Exactly. But you fail in showing us what is erroneous.

And that's the difference between "comp" and "computationalism", and that is why you insist on using your homemade silly little word rather than the standard term.

comp is just shorter than computationalism. But it "my" comp, is only a weaker version which imply all the one existing in the literature, and thus the consequences applies to all of them.

> your preceding argument was shown to confuse the 1-view and the 3- view

For several years now Bruno Marchal has accused John Clark of that, but John Clark would maintain that there is not a single person on the face of the earth who is confused by the difference between the first person and the third person.

I doubt this. In the duplicating machine frame, *you* do that confusion when predicting "W and M". Clearly.
You might be the only one, indeed.

>> why do you keep emphasizing what the various copies will predict about their future and how accurate those predictions turn out to be?

> The point is that we need only a notion of first person self

I think therefore I am.

> and thrid person self

I know what a third person is, but what the hell is the "third person self"?

Your body, or the Gödel number of your body, or the instantaneous comp state that the doctor is handling. Likewise, the third person self of PA is the description of PA in PA. The third person self is the one studied in the Gödel-Löb mathematical self-reference. It is the "Bp", as opposed to the first person self which is well captured by Bp & p.

>> I honestly don't give a damn about "comp"

> You said that you believe in comp.

I NEVER said I believe in "comp",

Stop playing with word. There was no quote around comp.

I don't even know what your homemade word means,

For the billionth time: it is sum up by Church thesis + "yes doctor", and you know that.

you claim it's just short for "computationalism" but that is clearly untrue. For years I've tried to infer its meaning from your usage but have been unsuccessful.

because you are stuck in the 1p/3p confusion. Or you fake that you are struck, because in some post, it is pretty clear you got the point. You fake not to understand the point, for unknown reason. But you fake badly. I think this becomes clear to everyone.

> If you think there is no 1-indeterminacy

I don't think that either!

At last! So please move on step 4.

Bruno

It's not exactly a earthshaking discovery to state that we often don't know what we will see next, I believe that was first found by Og the caveman. So everything you say is true or original, the parts that are true are not original and the parts that are original are not true.

  John K Clark