On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I *do *know who I am in the first person,

But there is no reason to believe that the knowledge you're talking about
is in principle unique; the copying machine can duplicate the first person
view just as easily as anything else. That person over there who looks just
like you also knows who she is in the first person, and the funny thing is
it's exactly precisely the same first person.

> We could make further extensions to the above scenario - say I'm really a
> digital copy, stored in a computer in Daniel Dennett's secret laboratory,
> but linked to the senses of an android which seems to be human - it appears
> human when it looks at itself in the mirror

But that's not a extension that's the way things actually are, except that
the computer isn't in Daniel Dennett's secret laboratory, it's in a box
made of bone sitting on your shoulders.

  John K Clark