To me it seems like "thinking something is true" is much more of a fuzzy
category that "asserting something is true" (even assertions can be
ambiguous when stated in natural language, but they can be made non-fuzzy
by requiring that each assertion be framed in terms of some formal language
and entered into a computer, as in my thought-experiment). Is there any
exact point where you cross between categories like "being completely
unsure whether it's true" and "having a strong hunch it's true" and "having
an argument in mind that it's true but not feeling completely sure there
isn't a flaw in the reasoning" and "being as confident as you can possibly
be that it's true"? I never really feel *absolute* certainty that anything
I think is true, even basic arithmetical statements like 1+1=2, because I'm
aware of how I've sometimes made sloppy mistakes in thinking in the past,
and because I know intelligent people can seem to come to incorrect
conclusions about basic ideas when hypnotized, or when dreaming (like the
logic of various characters in Alice in Wonderland). I think of certain
truth as being like an asymptote that an individual or community of
thinkers can continually get closer to but never quite reach.

If I consider the statement "Jesse Mazer will never think this statement is
true", I may imagine the perspective of someone else and see that from
their perspective it must be true if Jesse's thinking is trustworthy, but
then I'll catch myself and see that this imaginary perspective is really
just a thought in Jesse's head--at that point, have I had the thought that
it's true? And at some point in considering it I can't really help thinking
some words along the lines of "oh, so then it *is* true" (it's hard to
avoid thinking something you know you are "forbidden" to think, like when
someone tells you "don't think of an elephant"), but is merely thinking the
magic words enough to count as having thought it's true, and therefore
having made it false once and for all?

Jesse