On 12/19/2013 1:30 PM, Jesse Mazer wrote:
To me it seems like "thinking something is true" is much more of a fuzzy category that "asserting something is true"

Maybe. But note that Bruno's MGA is couched in terms of a dream, just to avoid any input/output. That seems like a suspicious move to me; one that may lead intuition astray.

Brent

(even assertions can be ambiguous when stated in natural language, but they can be made non-fuzzy by requiring that each assertion be framed in terms of some formal language and entered into a computer, as in my thought-experiment). Is there any exact point where you cross between categories like "being completely unsure whether it's true" and "having a strong hunch it's true" and "having an argument in mind that it's true but not feeling completely sure there isn't a flaw in the reasoning" and "being as confident as you can possibly be that it's true"? I never really feel *absolute* certainty that anything I think is true, even basic arithmetical statements like 1+1=2, because I'm aware of how I've sometimes made sloppy mistakes in thinking in the past, and because I know intelligent people can seem to come to incorrect conclusions about basic ideas when hypnotized, or when dreaming (like the logic of various characters in Alice in Wonderland). I think of certain truth as being like an asymptote that an individual or community of thinkers can continually get closer to but never quite reach.

If I consider the statement "Jesse Mazer will never think this statement is true", I may imagine the perspective of someone else and see that from their perspective it must be true if Jesse's thinking is trustworthy, but then I'll catch myself and see that this imaginary perspective is really just a thought in Jesse's head--at that point, have I had the thought that it's true? And at some point in considering it I can't really help thinking some words along the lines of "oh, so then it *is* true" (it's hard to avoid thinking something you know you are "forbidden" to think, like when someone tells you "don't think of an elephant"), but is merely thinking the magic words enough to count as having thought it's true, and therefore having made it false once and for all?

Jesse