On Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:13:25 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2013, at 15:07, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:23:20 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>> Hello Craig,
>>

>> That is the very well known attempt by Lucas to use Gödel's theorem to
>> refute mechanism. He was not the only one.
>>
>> Most people thinking about this have found the argument, and usually
>> found the mistakes in it.
>>
>> To my knowledge Emil Post is the first to develop both that argument, and
>> to understand that not only that argument does not work, but that the
>> machines can already refute that argument, due to the mechanizability of
>> the diagonalization, made very general by Church thesis.
>>
>> In fact either the argument is presented in an effective way, and then
>> machine can refute it precisely, or the argument is based on some
>> fuzziness, and then it proves nothing.
>>

> If 'proof' is an inappropriate concept for first person physics, then I
> would expect that fuzziness would be the only symptom we can expect. The
> criticism of Lucas seems to not really understand the spirit of Gödel's
> theorem, but only focus on the letter of its application...which in the
> case of Gödel's theorem is precisely the opposite of its meaning.
>
> The link that Stathis provided demonstrates that Gödel himself understood
> this:
>
> So the following disjunctive conclusion is inevitable: Either mathematics
>> is incompletable in this sense, that its evident axioms can never be
>> comprised in a finite rule, that is to say, the human mind (even within the
>> realm of pure mathematics) infinitely surpasses the powers of any finite
>> machine, or else there exist absolutely unsolvable diophantine problems of
>> the type specified . . . (Gödel 1995: 310).
>

> To me it's clear that Gödel means that incompleteness reveals that
> mathematics is not completable
>

> OK. Even arithmetic.
>

> in the sense that it is not enough to contain the reality of human
> experience,
>

> ?

He says the 'human mind', but I say human experience.

> not that it proves that mathematics or arithmetic truth is omniscient and
> omnipotent beyond our wildest dreams.
>

> Arithmetical truth is by definition arithmetically omniscient, but
> certainly not omniscient in general. Indeed to get the whole arithmetical
> "Noùs", Arithmetical truth is still too much weak. All what Gödel showed is
> that arithmetical truth (or any richer notion of truth, like set
> theoretical, group theoretical, etc.) cannot be enumerated by machines or
> effective sound theories.

The issue though is whether that non-enumerablity is a symptom of the
inadequacy of Noùs to contain Psyche, or a symptom of Noùs being so
undefinable that it can easily contain Psyche as well as Physics. I think
that Gödel interpreted his own work in the former and you are interpreting
it in the latter - doesn't mean you're wrong, but I agree with him if he
thought the former, because Psyche doesn't make sense as a part of Noùs. I
see Psyche and Physics as the personal and impersonal presentations of
sense, and Noùs is the re-presentation of physics (meaning physics is
re-personalized as abstract digital concepts). Physics is the
commercialization of sense. Psyche is residential sense. Noùs is the
hotel...commercialized residence.

>> An excellent book has been written on that subject by Judson Webb
>> (mechanism, mentalism and metamathematics, reference in the bibliographies
>> in my URL, or in any of my papers).
>>
>> In "conscience and mechanism", I show all the details of why the argument
>> of Lucas is already refuted by Löbian machines, and Lucas main error is
>> reduced to a confusion between Bp and Bp & p. It is an implicit assumption,
>> in the mind of Lucas and Penrose, of self-correctness, or self-consistency.
>> To be sure, I found 49 errors of logic in Lucas' paper, but the main
>> conceptual one is in that self-correctness assertion.
>>
>> Penrose corrected his argument, and understood that it proves only that
>> if we are machine, we cannot know which machine we are, and that gives the
>> math of the 1-indeterminacy, exploited in the arithmetical hypostases.
>> Unfortunately, Penrose did not take that correction into account.
>>
>> Gödel's theorem and Quantum Mechanics could not have been more pleasing
>> for the comp aficionado.
>> Gödel's theorem (+UDA) shows that machine have a rich non trivial
>> theology including physics, and QM confirms the most startling points of
>> the comp physics.
>>

> As far as QM goes, it would not surprise me in the least that a formal
> system based on formal measurements is only able to consider itself and
> fails to locate the sensory experience or the motive 'power on' required to
> formalize them in the first place.
>

> They don't address that question.
> Formal systems are seen as mathematical object, even number, and they
> exist independently of us, if you still accept arithmetical realism.

I accept the realism of arithmetic representation, and that they exist
independently of us humans, but not that they exist independently of all
experience or possibility of aesthetic presentation. I say no to
theoretical realism.

> The consistency objections similarly fail to recognize the core capacity
> to discern consistency from inconsistency. It is not possible to doubt our
> own consistency without also doubting the consistency of our doubt.
>

> On the contrary, we, and/or machines, cannot not doubt our consistency.

But we can't doubt the consistency of doubt. We believe that it is within
our power to disbelieve.

> What we cannot doubt is our raw consciousness "here-and-now", which might
> be the first person view of consistency. Consistency (Dt) and consciousness
> have many things in common, but incorrigibility works only for
> consciousness. A good first person description of consciousness would be Dt
> v t, making it non doubtable and trivial (which it is from the 1p view).
> But that is still only a sort of approximation.

Eliminative physicalism is the embodiment of doubt of our raw
consciousness. Computationalism and emegentism is also used that way by
many.

Thanks,
Craig