My 15 year old son asked me "Why do people believe in God?"

Once I'd sung a couple of verses of "The Second Sitting for the Last
Supper" by 10cc (as you do) I started to explain the various angles on this
- avoiding cognitive dissonance, being sure that you're right in the face
of all the evidence, having answers to all possible criticisms because of
"The Book", being able to take the moral highground and patronise all the
deluded fools who haven't seen the light, and so on.

No relevance to the present topic, of course.