On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:14:35 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Consider the posts by Craig. He said clearly "no" to that question,
> making his assumption (existence of a primitive sense) coherent. But
> he used his assumption to justify his negation of comp, but that is
> usually invalidated by the fact that machines get the same conclusion
> than his. His assumption are also quite fuzzy, but there has never
> been any trouble with him, notably because he does never insult or
> patronized others.

Thanks Bruno, I appreciate that. For the record, I would submit that your
ability to see your way through the stereotypical machine beliefs
personally suggests that you are setting a double standard whereby a
particular machine (namely you, or anyone who subscribes to comp) is exempt
from "the fact that machines get the same conclusion". It's a bit of a
loaded question. If I agree with comp then I am in some sense more than
machine, but if I claim my own authority independent of comp, then my claim
is false by comp.

I see it the other way around. If sense is primary, then logic is the
extension of sense into the unsensed. It is mechanized inference, aka,
computation. It uses the 'space between' sense to infer measurement, and as
such, does indeed access a kind of interstitial Platonic matrix of eternal
truths...however, in my view, they are only truths about how sense
interacts with itself from a distance - very close to sense, but not quite
as fundamental. In this way, computation is something like the 'perfect
imperfect' - the imposter, an emulator and digitizer of proprietary content
into public, anonymous 'films' of sense. From that perspective, I think
that it makes sense that logic mistakes itself for sense, so that the fact
that logic itself would reflect the assumptions that those with logical
minds tend to make is consistent.

Thanks,
Craig