On 05 Feb 2014, at 13:49, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:37:39 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 04 Feb 2014, at 18:07, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Numbers can be derived from sensible physics

That is a claim often done, but nobody has ever succeed without assuming Turing universality (and thus the numbers) in their description of physics.

Turing universality can just be a property of physics, like density or mass.

That is close to just nonsense (but I agree that some notorious physicists are attracted to this, but they don't convince me).

Just as Comp does a brute appropriation of qualia under 1p uncertainty,

No. That would be a confusion between []p and []p & p (or others).

Only God can do that confusion.

physics can do a brute appropriation of arithmetic under material topology.

Some material disposition can be shown to be Turing universal. But this is proved in showing how such system can implement a universal machine (quantum or not quantum one).

It would explain why Turing universality does not apply to gases

It applies to gases. technically no usable, as it is hard to put all the gaz molecules at the right position at the right time, but in principle, gases, in some volume, are Turing universal system.

and empty space.

Hmm... Quantum vacuum is Turing universal. I think.

For classical physics, you need at least three bodies.

Computers require object-like properties to control and measure digitally.

Yes.

You often say, "we can do that", but this makes sense only if you do it actually.

Some people might say that it is being done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDCwrbqHfTM
The Future of Computing -- Reuniting Bits and Atoms

I hope you are not serious. Interesting but non relevant.

The Future of Computing -- Reuniting Bits and Atoms

as easily as physics can be derived from sensible numbers.

Physics is not yet extracted, only the or some quantum tautologies, and that was not that much easy, at least for me ...

But the principle of the possibility is not difficult, at least, not for anyone who has ever programmed a player-missile graphic/avatar/ collision detection in a game.

On the contrary. Hmm... I see you have not yet grasped the main UDA points. Even if the physicist find a dimple equation or program emulating the physical universe, to extract both the quanta and the qualia, we have to derive physics explicitly from ... sense. That is why sense if fundamental. But to derive physics from first person sense is not easy at all, and to understand this you have first to understand how sense is derived from arithmetic.

Keep in mind that with comp, physics does not involve one particular computation, but all computations at once.

Bruno

Craig