On Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:05:34 PM UTC-5, Russell Standish wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:23:14AM -0800, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
> > Craig,
> >
> > I also suspect Bruno's math skills are superior to mine, but his
> > understanding of the place of math in reality seems pretty deficient, or
> > perhaps just rigid.
> >
> > As I've pointed out his 8 steps may well be mathematically consistent
> but
> > that doesn't mean they have anything to do with the fundamental
> structure
> > of reality at all. To meaningfully apply a purely mathematical or
> logical
> > proof to reality, one must establish an actual correspondence of the
> > variables in the proof to actual variables of reality. I don't see Bruno
> > doing that at all.
>
> The strength of Bruno's approach is that that is implicit in the
> assumption of COMP. Once you assume that one's consciousness can be
> implemented by a computation, then necessarily ontological reality
> (whatever that is) can also be implemented by a computation. This is a
> simple consequence of the Church thesis.

I understand that, but my argument has never been with Bruno's approach to
Comp, it is with the assumption of Comp itself. I have a different
understanding of the relation between information and consciousness which
makes more sense, and it explains why Comp is false, and why it cannot be
proved false logically.

Craig