On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 05:51:18PM -0800, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
> Russell,
>
> But that assumes that consciousness is prior to ontological reality, to
> actual being. That's one of the things I find most ridiculous about both
> Bruno's comp and block universes, that they assume everything is 1p
> perspectives of conscious human observers.

That is most certainly not the case with COMP, which posits an
ontological reality that is computationally universal (in which case
it may as well be Peano arithmetic). It might be levelled at my world
view, described in "Thoery of Nothing"m although to be fair, I do not
make any sort of ontological commitment, but just argue that
ontological reality doesn't really have any empirical meaning.

> To me, that's just solipsism in new clothes.

No - because in both COMP, and in my theory of nothing, the presence
of other observers is a predicted consequence. Hardly
solipsism. Perhaps you mean something else - idealism perhaps?

> And it implies there was no reality before humans.

If by "human" you mean observers in general, then yes - it does imply
that. There is no reality without observers.

> I think the correct view is that reality is independent of human
> perception, that it being functioning quite fine for 13.7 billion years
> before humans came along. But that humans each have their own internal
> VIEWS or SIMULATIONS of reality, which they mistake for actual human
> independent reality.

What evidence do you offer for this assumption?

> Bruno, and a few others seem to MISTAKE those internal views of reality for
> human independent reality itself.

It is intersubjective reality. But strictly speaking, not independent.

> That's a fundamental and deadly mistake in trying to make sense of
> reality...

Actually, it has rather a lot of advantages for understanding as
compared with the alternatives.