On Friday, February 14, 2014 7:47:27 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

> On 2/14/2014 7:12 AM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:
> > Some members of the list have expressed fondness or interest for
> cuttlefish, which is
> > why I post this link:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgdVVU8tBTQ
> >
> > The documentary is a bit sensational/over the top at times, but I'm not
> bothered as I
> > just care about the footage. They used to be prominent at a beach I had
> access to as a
> > kid and they've been a favorite member of our fauna to me ever since.
> >
> > I don't think I have to spell out in too much detail why this might be
> relevant or fun
> > and refer to: it thinks itself into different form, skin structure,
> color etc. Why are
> > our bodies, nervous systems, and skin so dull in comparison?
> >
> > We're all worm and slug descendants on some level right? Why did we pass
> up such useful
> > and amazing features? Stupid nature/evolution... I want that feature.
> >
> > No, really: I want that! Can anybody hook me up? PGC
>
> I find cuttlefish fascinating.  They are social, relatively intelligent,
> can communicate,
> able to grasp and manipulate things. It seems like they were all set to
> become the
> dominant large life form (instead of humans).
>
> Brent

Yeah, but isn't the direction of things, in terms of what it took
to get the human evolution lane, toward more constraint not less? It's a
big assumption that the phenotype and environment they occupy contains
significant higher evolution pathways. Th.ere might be a number of them,
but if there are billions of times more pathways that move neutral to that
or go the other way, then the question might become how many living planets
like earth in the universe saw octopus hit the big time. Could be none.