On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:42:57 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 18 Feb 2014, at 23:53, ghi...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>

> On Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:23:27 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> > Yes - I find that surprising also.

>> > One could say the same about early home 2 millions years ago. The
>> > invention of the throwable spear changed all that.
>>
>> Yes.

>> > I feel privileged that these wonderful animals (giant cuttlefish) can
>> > be found less than 200 metres from my house. I have often observed
>> > them when snorkling or scuba diving.
>>
>> You are privileged indeed.
>>

>> > I had to laugh at the Texan prof's comment that they are as least as
>> > smart as fish.
>>
>> That is weird indeed. fish are not known to be particularly clever.
>>

>> > I do have a habit of underestimating fish intelligence,
>>
>> Me too ...
>>

>> > but IMHO their intelligence equals that of some mammals or birds, and
>> > clearly outclasses fish.
>>
>> I agree.
>>

>> > I think I mentioned the anecdote which
>> > convinced me they exhibit a second order theory of the mind, which may
>> > well be sufficient for consciousness.
>>
>> Which I call self-consciousness, and I think this is already Löbianitty.
>> I do think that all animals have the "first order" consciousness, they
>> can feel pain, and find it unpleasant, but can't reflect on it, nor
>> assess "I feel pain". they still can react appropriately. I m not
>> sure, but it fits better with the whole picture.
>>
>> Bruno
>>
>> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
>

> Allowing that brain science is a lot nearer the end of the beginning than
> the beginning of the end, all the functional evidence suggests humans and
> animals are much more alike in their experiences toward the lower levels of
> instinct, in its broader sense to include emotion and pain, anger, fear,
> bluff. It makes sense we experience that level of things pretty much the
> same.
>

> I think so. I might even think that this is common for all Löbian machines
> (or quasi-Löbian).
> Those machines have elementary beliefs and some induction beliefs (in the
> Peano sense).
>

> Neither animals nor humans are able to 'remember' agonizing pain.
>

> Really? Have you references? I procrastinate videos on interview of
> tortured people. I really don't know, and I am astonished of your saying.
> Brutal amputation can lead to pathological pain hypermnesy and deformed
> type of pain.

I'm not clear this point has need for references in that sense. There isn't
actually a necessary contradiction between the above two comments mine and
yours. It's biology. The structures are always much the same. The
distinctions being which level or ends between simplicity and increasingly
more complex structures that by repeats grow out of simplicity. I mentioned
a simple reality of the type of messaging that pain falls in with. It's a
signal, not a cognition. Not every kind of message has access to centres
like memory. How would a memory of an existential signalling be captured?
No need for referencing. If you think you can recall pain, then do it now,
feel the pain existentially. Let me know how it goes, I'll accept your
testimony. You won't be able to do it though. Not generically.

Does that mean there can't be complex emergent effects like what you
describe. No.....there are conditions of continual pain that no doctor can
find a real basis for All sorts can go down in the complexities. But the
simple principles tend to dominate in the full extent of things. That
brutal amputation and the devastating after effects. It's real, or can be.
But in the fullness of time, when all is known and detectable. Is that
going to say the sufferer was storing a signalling of pain in memory? The
simple principles is suggesting no. It'll be real pain, maybe in a feedback
loop involving a deranged nerve. Maybe triggerable in whatever the chemical
complicators in stress or anxiety. It'll pan out. Or maybe you'll store
that signal of pain and retrieve it as you say. We probably have not
disagreed,.