>> It depends, sometimes yes... But at other times thought provoking gloom can
>> be fun, while light, non-gloom fun can seem cheap and pandering. Just
>> depends on situation. Right now, I don't know if what I'm listening to is
>> light or gloomy and thought provoking. It has a minimal sort of machine
>> line, which negates the deep gloom, with small peculiar things happening
>> punctually. I don't know if its fun, it seems more curious. Thought
>> provoking? Depends...

It's Robert Henke's ''Ritual'' track on top of his homepage:

That kind of stuff tickles me pink, and is fun from my perspective.

These guys began their careers writing tracks in a similar vein to Henke's but
have a warm analogue-like production which is like being in bed half asleep
half awake on lovely sunny morning.

http://warp.net/records/boards-of-canada

Dayvan Cowboy is just yum.

But at other times thought provoking gloom can be fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-cD4oLk_D0