On 30 June 2014 17:41, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 6/29/2014 10:20 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 30 June 2014 17:02, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>   On 6/29/2014 7:33 PM, LizR wrote:

>>>  I like what Isaac Asimov, a fellow who knew a thing or two about
>>> science, had to say on this subject:
>>>
>>> "I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've
>>> been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was
>>> intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed
>>> knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a
>>> humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion
>>> as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the
>>> evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he
>>> doesn't that I don't want to waste my time."
>>>

>>  So he knows that he only has enough evidence to be agnostic, but he is
>> emotionally convinced to be an atheist nonetheless. OK, so that puts him on
>> a par with religious believers who are also emotionally convinced, though
>> not of the same thing.
>>

>>  No more so that being an aSanta-Clausist.
>>

>  Well there you go then. I rest my case.
>

>> Actually I think there is enough evidence to prove (in the 'beyond
>> reasonable doubt' sense) that the God of the bible does not exist.  But you
>> don't have to prove something doesn't exist to reasonably fail to believe
>> that it does.  I don't have proof that there is no teapot orbiting Jupiter,
>> but that doesn't make me epitemologically irresponsible to assert I don't
>> believe there is one.
>>

>  Atheists don't just believe that the biblical god doesn't exist, they
> believe that there are no supernatural forces involved in the operation of
> the universe.
>

> Where is this written?  Do you speak for all atheists, or just ones in NZ?

No just the ones I've come across, like Richard Dawkins.

>    While I consider this likely, I don't consider it 100% proven, because
> as Arthur C Clark said, any sufficiently advanced technology is
> indistinguishable from magic, and it's at least conceivable that there are
> sufficiently advanced beings out there that they can act outside what we
> call nature.
>
> That seems to really waffle.  If we knew these beings could so act
> wouldn't we just readjust "what we call nature".  In fact that's a general
> problem with saying what it would mean for some events to be supernatural.
> In the past many events were thought to be supernatural, acts of God, e.g.
> sickness, lightning, drought, earthquakes,...but are now thought to be
> natural.  So it some new phenomena is observed why wouldn't we just assume
> it was natural even if we didn't have an explanation.

Hmm, well that's all-inclusive. I guess if whatever happens, you will call
it natural - Biblical god appears, that's natural....OK, you've got me
there.

>   For example I am not 100% sure that the universe wasn't created by some
> intelligent beings with sufficiently advanced technology to create big
> bangs (they may of course have evolved naturally in another universe). I
> don't think it's likely, but that's my emotional prejudices at work. I
> can't see that I can claim with certainty that it's impossible, and since
> these being would fit with some definitions of god (creator of the
> unvierse) then I can't say it is 100% proven that god doesn't exist.
>
> Didn't you slip from "something or someone beyond our current explanation"
> to "god".  You speak for atheists, what do you have to say for
> religionists?  Are they just worshiping some unknown possibility.  What is
> the god they believe in - that's the god I don't believe in.  I think you
> have muddled the word "god" in order make it seem unreasonable to assert
> definitively that "god" doesn't exist.  But in the process you've made
> "god" into something quite different from the god of religion. A mere
> shadow of the once powerful Yaweh, Baal, Zeus, Thor,...

No I was just talking about atheists.

> If you are going to narrowly define atheism as not believing in the god of
> the bible, then of course I will agree with you (I will even throw in the
> Norse and Egyptian gods and a few others, if you like). But that isn't what
> I am talking about when I say Atheism, and I doubt it's what Asimov meant
> either.
>
> You seem to be equating atheism with asserting that nothing beyond our
> knowledge of nature exists.  Not just failing to believe that such exists,
> but having 100% confidence that it doesn't.  I don't know anyone who calls
> himself an atheist and who makes such a strong statement.

I didn't say that. You can see what I said above.

> Dawkins has explicity said he is not absolutely certain there is no god of
> any kind.  Vic Stenger explicitly says he cannot rule out a deist god.

Well that's OK then, in that case I agree with him (except for him calling
himself an atheist).