On 7/1/2014 10:22 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 30 Jun 2014, at 07:41, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/29/2014 10:20 PM, LizR wrote:
On 30 June 2014 17:02, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 6/29/2014 7:33 PM, LizR wrote:
    On 30 June 2014 04:43, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com
    <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 9:44 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com
        <mailto:lizj...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            > agnosticism is of course the defining principle of the scientific
            method, so we really need the concept in order to understand the
status
            of scientific theories.

        I like what Isaac Asimov, a fellow who knew a thing or two about
science, had
        to say on this subject:

        "I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've
been an
        atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually
        unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge
that
        one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an
        agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of
        reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to
prove that
        God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't
want to
        waste my time."

    So he knows that he only has enough evidence to be agnostic, but he is
    emotionally convinced to be an atheist nonetheless. OK, so that puts him on
a par
    with religious believers who are also emotionally convinced, though not of
the
    same thing.

    No more so that being an aSanta-Clausist.

Well there you go then. I rest my case.

    Actually I think there is enough evidence to prove (in the 'beyond
reasonable
    doubt' sense) that the God of the bible does not exist.  But you don't have
    prove something doesn't exist to reasonably fail to believe that it does.
I don't
    have proof that there is no teapot orbiting Jupiter, but that doesn't make
me
    epitemologically irresponsible to assert I don't believe there is one.

Atheists don't just believe that the biblical god doesn't exist, they believe that there are no supernatural forces involved in the operation of the universe.

Where is this written?  Do you speak for all atheists, or just ones in NZ?

While I consider this likely, I don't consider it 100% proven, because as Arthur C Clark said, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and it's at least conceivable that there are sufficiently advanced beings out there that they can act outside what we call nature.

That seems to really waffle. If we knew these beings could so act wouldn't we just readjust "what we call nature". In fact that's a general problem with saying what it would mean for some events to be supernatural. In the past many events were thought to be supernatural, acts of God, e.g. sickness, lightning, drought, earthquakes,...but are now thought to be natural. So it some new phenomena is observed why wouldn't we just assume it was natural even if we didn't have an explanation.

I agree with you. I think we can relate this to Occam. If we have a theory which explains a lot, and fail to explain a new phenomena, we should not abandon the theory, unless the new phenomena does violate the theory.

I think that "supernatural" has no meaning at all. No more than the incompatibilist theory of free will which I think does not make sense (I agree with John Clark on this).

Supernatural would mean violating the laws of physics, and that makes no sense because physics, by quasi-definition, changes itself each time she is violated.

(But comp + materialism do introduce something close to magic: primitive matter capable of selecting consciousness, but without any role in the computations).

For example I am not 100% sure that the universe wasn't created by some intelligent beings with sufficiently advanced technology to create big bangs (they may of course have evolved naturally in another universe). I don't think it's likely, but that's my emotional prejudices at work. I can't see that I can claim with certainty that it's impossible, and since these being would fit with some definitions of god (creator of the unvierse) then I can't say it is 100% proven that god doesn't exist.

Didn't you slip from "something or someone beyond our current explanation" to "god". You speak for atheists, what do you have to say for religionists? Are they just worshiping some unknown possibility. What is the god they believe in - that's the god I don't believe in. I think you have muddled the word "god" in order make it seem unreasonable to assert definitively that "god" doesn't exist. But in the process you've made "god" into something quite different from the god of religion. A mere shadow of the once powerful Yaweh, Baal, Zeus, Thor,...

Earth was thought to be a tortoise, then we learn better.

Similarly the notion of God is the notion of an all encompassing one unifying all things. It was thought to be a sort of father in the sky, but we might learn better here too.

Then, the God of the materialist is the physical universe. Here too, we might
learn better.

Materialism might be right, but with comp, we get a problem of how that physical universe can select a consciousness in a stream of consciousness in arithmetic.

The materialist religion has a tendency to abstract from the existence of consciousness. That's OK as a fertile methodological strategy, but in my opinion it misses the most important things: persons. It fails also to explain the nature of matter and where it comes from.

No problem, computer science and machine's computer science, and the difference between, unravel a different theology than the materialist one, which seems promising on those questions. To put is roughly: matter looks like the derivative of mind. Or mind is the primitive of matter (pun included).

If you are going to narrowly define atheism as not believing in the god of the bible, then of course I will agree with you (I will even throw in the Norse and Egyptian gods and a few others, if you like). But that isn't what I am talking about when I say Atheism, and I doubt it's what Asimov meant either.

You seem to be equating atheism with asserting that nothing beyond our knowledge of nature exists. Not just failing to believe that such exists, but having 100% confidence that it doesn't. I don't know anyone who calls himself an atheist and who makes such a strong statement. Dawkins has explicity said he is not absolutely certain there is no god of any kind. Vic Stenger explicitly says he cannot rule out a deist god.

Well, they still ignore machine's theology, isn't it? With the original Platonist notion of God (the truth we search inward, about which the first thing we know is that it is above us, ineffable, etc).

They don't ignore it. They seek 3p models to explain how the world works, but they start with subjective observations. Stenger explicitly says that "objective" just means "intersubjective agreement". The source of knowledge is personal, but it can still lead to an impersonal model, like particles or arithmetic.

If atheism is the disbelief in the literal Christian god, then all taoist, jewish, muslims, hinduists, etc. are atheists.

Taoists and Hindus are, but jews and muslims worship a theist god, a creator person who answers prayers and judges. In fact the muslims claim it is the same god as the jews and christians and the christians claim they worship the same god as the jews.

Why did Cantor wrote to the pope, and develop long correspondences with a bishop, to discuss about the possible blaspheme of his naming of the higher infinities?

Because of what his parents told him, "It's blasphemous to name God."

Brent

Cantor was aware that his set theory was already a sort of theology.

The belief in God is a bit like the belief in some infinite. In math it can simplifies the proofs, despite for many proofs, its use can be eliminated.

There are two main reasons for people to believe in God.

1) because their parents told so.
2) because they look inward and get "personal evidence" (mystical experience)

And there are many intermediates, where people believes in God because their parents told so, and they look inward and get evidences that they interpret as confirmation of what their parents said. Some might look inward enough to understand that what their parents said should be interpreted less literally, for example.

But once a religion becomes a political tool, then "looking inward" is badly seen, and the free research is banished. Logic get quickly abandoned too.

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.