> On 3 Jul 2014, at 10:49 am, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So I think having convenient shorthands for various stances on these matters
> is a handy convention, which I would hope everyone who contributes to the
> forum recognises. (Although personally I'm still not sure who Plotinus was or
> what he had to say about these matters :(

hH: I already dealt with that. You should be using de Bono's Hats
systematically in all threads. The idea is that you select which
neurotransmitter you are going to perform optimally under when you open your
mouth and that the person listening to you unleashes that same neurotransmitter
by metaphorically selecting the same-coloured Hat. This is new. There is
nothing like this in the conventional attack/defence adversarial default mode
of thinking/listening. Under that system, you seek to hide your self-selecting
neurotransmitters under rhetoric and fact and colourful use of language.
Sophistry IOW. That someone knows in advance that they will look for the
benefits in your idea or will try to use your idea as a stepping stone to a
better idea are aspects of Parallel Thinking. This is the first truly creative
updating of our thinking system since Socrates Plato and Aristotle.

You say in advance what part of your mind you are using and then you confine
yourself to using only that part of your mnd. If you are like Clark and only
have one part to your mind then practising the Hats will grow new neural
pathways literally in terms of axions and dendrites as the brain is a machine
that physically adapts to the challenges of survival.

I reiterate that there is no inbuilt 'humility' or 'modesty' lever available to
thinking without the necessary level of honesty that imposing a 'thinking
framework' such as the Six Thinking Hats provides. People would post less and
each post would be of a higher quality and consistently on topic yet
remorselessly exploratory in all aspects of the thinking. Ad hominem is only
ever an amusing trantrum someone throws because they are bad at one or a couple
of the 6 modes of thinking.

Trouble is you cannot teach a bunch of old dogs some new tricks. I think we
have a people problem here.