To a first approximation this appears to have something to do with the
relative weakness of gravity compared to the weak force. This is, I gather,
highly unexpected because it involves some delicate cancellations
(presumably delicate to about 32 decimal places). And I also gather this is
connected with renormalisation, which (if I remember correctly) involves
cancelling out infinities that might arise from, for example, point charges
(see "Tronnies" for more on this subject :-) by shielding them with virtual
particles. The amount of shielding that can be produced depends on which
particles are available to virtualise out of the vacuum, so supersymmetry
(for example) provides a lot of extra particles which I assume can
contribute to a much larger amount of cancellation than would otherwise be
possible...

...or am I barking up the wrong space-time foliation?