On 8/11/2014 7:29 PM, LizR wrote:
On 12 August 2014 12:48, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 8/11/2014 4:03 PM, LizR wrote:

        I have never got this idea of "counterfactual correctness". It seems to
be that
        the argument goes ...

        Assume computational process A is conscious
        Take process B, which replays A - B passes through the same machine
states as A,
        but it doesn't work them out, it's driven by a recording of A - B isn't
        conscious because it isn't counterfactually correct.

        I can't see how this works. (Except insofar as if we assume
consciousness
        doesn't supervene on material processes, then neither A nor B is
conscious, they
        are just somehow attached to conscious experiences generated elsewhere,
maybe by
        a UD.)

    It doesn't work, because it ignores the fact that consciousness is about
something.
    It can only exist in the context of thoughts (machine states and processes)
    referring to a "world"; being part of a representational and predictive
model.
     Without the counterfactuals, it's just a sequence of states and not a
model of
    anything.  But in order that it be a model it must interact or have
interacted in
    the past in order that the model be causally connected to the world.  It is
this
    connection that gives meaning to the model.

What differentiates A and B, given that they use the same machine states? How can A be more about something than B? Or to put it another way, what is the "meaning" that makes A conscious, but not B?

A makes decisions in response to the world. Although, ex hypothesi, the world is repeating its inputs and A is repeating his decisions. Note that this assumes QM doesn't apply at the computational level of A. In the argument we're asked to consider a dream so that we're led to overlook the fact that the meaning of A's internal processes actually derive from A's interaction with a world. Imagine A as being born and living in a sensory deprivation tank - will A be conscious? I think not. But in Bruno's and Maudlin's thought experiments A might be, A could be aware of Peano's axioms and could prove all provable theorems plus Godel's incompleteness.

    Because Bruno is a logician he tends to think of consciousness as performing
    deductive proofs, executing a proof in the sense that every computer
program is a
    proof.  He models belief as proof.  But this overlooks where the meaning of
the
    program comes from.  People that want to deny computers can be conscious
point out
    that the meaning comes from the programmer.  But it doesn't have to.  If the
    computer has goals and can learn and act within the world then its internal
modeling
    and decision processes get meaning through their potential for actions.

    This is why I don't agree with the conclusion drawn from step 8.  I think
the
    requirement to counterfactually correct implies that a whole world, a
physics, needs
    to be simulated too, or else the Movie Graph or Klara need to be able to
interact
    with the world to supply the meaning to their program.  But if the Movie
Graph
    computer is a counterfactually correct simulation of a person within a
simulated
    world, there's no longer a "reversal".  Simulated consciousness exists in
simulated
    worlds - dog bites man.

Are you assuming that the world with which the MG interacts it itself digitally emulable? If so, doesn't Bruno's argument go through for the whole emulated world, if not for a subcomponent of it ("Klara") ? ISTM you're saying that a conscious being has to interact with a world - which may be true (people go mad in sensory isolation eventually). But if the world is emulable then the MGA can be applied to it as a whole.

Right.

Or at least I remember Bruno saying that the substitution level and region to be emulated weren't important to the argument, as long as there is some level and region in which it holds. I'm sure he said that it might involve emulating the world, or a chunk of the universe, but that the argument still goes through.

Or did I misremember that, or did he say that, but there's a flaw in his
argument?

It's not exactly a flaw. He always says, sure just make the simulation more comprehensive, include more of the environment, even the whole universe. Which is OK, but then when you think about the reversal of physics and psychology you see that it is the physics here, in the non-simulated world, which has been replaced by the psychology PLUS physics in the simulated world. If I say I can replace you with a simulation - I'll probably be greeted with skepticism. But if I say I can replace you with a simulation of you in a simulation of the world - well then it's not so clear what I mean or how hard it will be.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.