That's all we do... process "sensor data" and make complicated inferences
about those features of our experience we refer to as people (and
everything else). Of course, we undergo a great deal of training to get
there, and much of the training is done by people. To Liz's point,
purposefully designed AI might well also be trained by people, or at least,
people would comprise a significant part of its training. At the end of the
day, we are just AGIs with a biological substrate, with some stuff
hardwired in by evolution, and a cultural program that inculcates in us
some very specific and often strange ideas about identity, reality at
large, and what our goals ought to be.

To your point (and mine, earlier), AGIs are likely to construct a worldview
that is significantly different from ours, for lots of reasons, but surely
that doesn't mean it will be unaware of people. It may model them (and
everything else) differently than we do, but I see no reason to believe for
instance that we couldn't carry on a conversation with an AI of sufficient
cognitive ability (and the motivation to do so).

Terren