On 02 Oct 2014, at 06:06, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/1/2014 8:31 PM, LizR wrote:
Thank you, that's interesting (of course, it should be obvious to anyone with a few brain cells that facile generalisations are bad... but they creep in all too easily...)

But also facile distinctions are made:

ASLAN: Stoning and mutilation and those barbaric practices should be condemned and criticized by everyone. The actions of individuals and societies and countries like Iran, like Pakistan, like Saudi Arabia must be condemned, because they don't belong in the 21st century.

But to say Muslim countries, as though Pakistan and Turkey are the same, as though Indonesia and Saudi Arabia are the same, as though somehow what is happening in the most extreme forms of these repressive countries, these autocratic countries, is representative of what's happening in every other Muslim country, is, frankly -- and I use this word seriously -- stupid. So let's stop doing that.

Turkey is different precisely because Kemal Ataturk made separation of church and state a foundation of Turkey - something directly contrary to the Quran which mandates theocracy.

I agree, Kemal Ataturk succeed in separating the religion and the church.

But when Erdogan took power, that heritage is eroded, and I think he is related to the Muslim Brotherhood, like the Hamas which is the Palestinian brotherhood.

I have myself believed that the Muslim Brotherhood was defending a moderate Islam, until they show their face in Egypt (persecuting christian and secularist muslims, notably most women in cities). The Egyptian have courageously reinstall their army into power, because that protects them against the fanatism and anti-secularism of the Brotherhood.

The Turkey should do the same.

So it is not as though the differences are between Pakistan and Turkey or Saudi Arabia and Indonesia are unrelated to religion. The difference are that the more barabaric nations are the more religious.

All people who believe to know some truth, which would be capable of being able to be publicly communicable, are dangerous. So if you dare to call a religion any belief in a definite public truth, then OK, but this includes the atheists beliefs, and that has been illustrated with Lenine and Staline who are not much less better than Hitler in barbary.

The problem is that we have forgotten that we don't know the answer, and so that we can do research, in academy, where we forget our prejudice and builds axiomatics with testable consequences. We can extract the axiomatics from *some* hypothesis, like the computationalist one. Indeed in that case we can translate the statement in term of number relations.

Religion and spirituality are not barbaric, like medication are not dangerous.

It is the misuse of religion and spirituality, or the misuse of medication which can be dangerous.

I think that any one having an atom of an idea of God can understand that theology is the field where modesty, cautiousness, has to be the maximal, and it is the place where the argument-per-authority is the most damageable for what it is all about.

On 2 October 2014 15:56, Samiya Illias <samiyaill...@gmail.com> wrote: The following link might be of interest. It addresses some of the questions raised on this forum about Islam.
Samiya

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.